Details of the Corker-Hoeven Amendment
According to Senator Corker’s website,The Corker-Hoeven amendment bill will include the following:
- An unprecedented surge of an additional 20,000 Border Patrol agents are deployed, maintained and stationed along the southern border, more than doubling the current force.
- The Comprehensive Southern Border Security Strategy is deployed and operational, which includes, at a minimum, full implementation and activation of the $4.5 billion in specific technology and equipment requested by the Border Patrol to achieve full surveillance of the border.
- The Southern Border Fencing Strategy has been implemented, and at least 700 miles of fencing has been completed along the southern border. (There are 350 miles of pedestrian fencing already deployed along the southern border. This amendment would double that and ensure a total of 700 miles of fencing along the border.)
- The mandated electronic visa entry/exit system has been fully implemented at all air and sea ports of entry where U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers are currently deployed, which will improve the identification of those who overstay their visas.
- E-Verify is being used by all employers in the country, making it virtually impossible to work in the United States illegally. To read more, please visit http://www.corker.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/news?ID=9b091a42-f7e4-4751-a361-731db54d835d